7 High-Income Skills Worth Learning in 2023
The job market constantly evolves. It presents us with new technologies, processes, and requirements. As a result, there are more and more challenges for young and experienced professionals. Without upgrading their skills, people risk being left behind.
To remain competitive and relevant, professionals need to reskill and upskill. Learning top skills in demand enables individuals to adapt to changes, increase productivity, and take advantage of opportunities.
Additionally, employers look for employees who possess the most demanded skills. In the future, such professionals can expect to climb the corporate ladder faster and have a higher income.
Below, we will discuss the best skills to learn in 2023 and provide you with job options in each field. Discover career opportunities, average salaries, and job market trends.
1. Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning.
AI and machine learning are among the most high-income skills in 2023. According to World Economic Forum, AI is likely to create 97 million new jobs by 2025. It is also going to decrease job demand by 85 million workplaces in certain industries. It mainly applies to jobs that don’t require analytical thinking or creativity. If your job mostly consists of repetitive, monotonous tasks, the chances are high that AI will soon replace it.
If you are looking for skills to learn to make money, studying AI or machine learning will help you stay competitive in the job market and lead to a higher income.
Here are the most popular jobs in the AI industry:
- AI Data Scientist. Data scientists collect, analyze and interpret large amounts of data to identify trends and patterns. They use statistical analysis, machine learning, and other techniques to build predictive models and develop insights to make business decisions. According to Glassdoor, the average salary for a data scientist is around $113,000 per year.
- Machine Learning Engineer. They develop and implement algorithms that enable computers to learn from data. Machine learning engineers collaborate with data scientists and software engineers to design, build and test machine learning models. On Payscale, their average salary in the US is roughly $112,000.
- AI Researcher. They study artificial intelligence technologies and develop new algorithms and models. AI researchers work in universities, research labs, and private companies to advance the field of AI. You can earn around $126,000 annually as an AI researcher in the US.
- AI Ethics Specialist. They ensure that AI technologies are developed and used responsibly and ethically. The average salary of an American AI ethics specialist is around $103,000 per year (Glassdoor).
- Robotics Engineer. This job involves designing, building, and testing robots that can perform various tasks. They work in various industries, including manufacturing, healthcare, and defense. On Payscale, their average annual income in the US is around $80,000.
2. Blockchain Technologies.
According to LinkedIn's Emerging Jobs Report, blockchain developer is one of the top emerging jobs in the technology industry. A report by Research and Markets projects the global blockchain market will grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 67.3% between 2021 and 2026, increasing the demand for blockchain professionals across various industries.
As blockchain technology matures and expands into new use cases, the demand for blockchain-related jobs will likely continue to grow in the coming years.
- Software developer. Blockchain developers create and implement blockchain solutions. Skills to learn: blockchain architecture, programming languages such as Solidity or Java, and smart contract development. Indeed suggests that the average salary of a blockchain developer in the US is $120,000.
- Solution architect. Blockchain architects design and implement blockchain solutions for organizations. They should have a deep understanding of blockchain technology, cryptography, and security. Their average annual income in the US is around $150,000 (Glassdoor).
- Project manager. They manage blockchain projects, ensuring they are delivered on time, within budget, and to the client's satisfaction. New skills to learn: blockchain technology and project management methodologies. According to Glassdoor, you can expect to earn about $110,000 a year as a project manager in the blockchain industry.
- Product manager. They oversee the development of blockchain-based products from conception to launch. Other responsibilities include mediating between the technical development and business team, defining the product vision, gathering requirements, and developing the product roadmap. Data from Glassdoor and Indeed defines the yearly salary of blockchain product managers in the US as between $120,000 and $150,000.
- Sales, design, and marketing jobs. Blockchain careers in sales, design, and marketing require specialized skills and knowledge of blockchain technology. Sales professionals need to understand the value proposition of blockchain and develop relationships with clients. Designers create user-friendly interfaces for blockchain applications. Marketers promote blockchain products and services to potential customers. Salaries for these roles typically range from $70,000 to $150,000 per year.
3. Cloud Computing.
The growing adoption of cloud technology by businesses of all sizes raised the demand for cloud computing specialists. According to a report by Gartner, the global public cloud services market grew by 18.4% in 2021, reaching a total value of $304.9 billion.
You might consider one of these jobs if you want to work in cloud computing:
- Cloud Architect. Cloud architects design and implement cloud computing solutions that meet business requirements. Glassdoor suggests the average salary for a cloud architect is about $130,000.
- Cloud Engineer. They build and maintain the infrastructure required to support cloud computing solutions. Indeed lists their average annual income at around $120,000.
- Cloud Security Specialist. These professionals are responsible for the security of cloud-based solutions. According to Payscale, the average earnings of a cloud security specialist are $96,000 per year.
- Cloud Developer. Cloud developers design and develop applications that run on cloud computing platforms. ZipRecruiter reports that cloud developers earn an average yearly income of approximately $124,000.
The increasing frequency and sophistication of cyberattacks create a growing demand for advanced cybersecurity systems.
According to a report by Cybersecurity Ventures, global cybersecurity spending will reach $1 trillion by 2025, up from an estimated $145 billion in 2020. The main reasons include the increasing number of cyber threats and regulatory requirements around data protection and privacy.
These are the most important jobs in the cybersecurity industry:
- Cybersecurity Analyst. Their main task is monitoring computer networks to detect security risks and analyze security-related data to identify and address security breaches. According to Glassdoor, a cybersecurity analyst can earn around $85,000 annually.
- Cybersecurity Engineer. They design and implement security measures to protect computer networks and systems from cyber threats. Indeed reports that the average salary for a cybersecurity engineer is $116,000 per year.
- Cybersecurity Manager. Cybersecurity managers oversee the development and implementation of cybersecurity policies and procedures. Payscale data reveals that cybersecurity managers earn an average annual salary of approximately $117,000.
- Cybersecurity Consultant. They advise and guide cybersecurity strategy and implementation. Based on the information provided by ZipRecruiter, their typical annual income is about $129,000.
5. Digital Marketing.
The importance of digital channels is rapidly growing. As a result, we face increasing demand for digital marketing professionals across various industries in 2023.
Statista report states that the digital advertising market worldwide is predicted to increase from $404 billion in 2020 to $701 billion in 2023. This growth is driven by the increasing use of digital channels in advertising and marketing and the importance of data-driven marketing strategies.
We’ve included the most trending digital marketing jobs in this list:
- Digital Marketing Manager. They develop and implement digital marketing strategies to achieve business goals. The average salary is around $75,000 per year, according to Glassdoor.
- SEO Specialist. SEO specialists optimize websites and content to improve search engine rankings and increase organic traffic. Data from Indeed suggests that the average income is roughly $63,000.
- Social Media Manager. They are responsible for social media strategies that increase brand awareness and engagement. According to Payscale, a social media manager has an average income of $50,000.
- PPC Specialist. PPC specialists manage and optimize paid advertising campaigns to drive traffic and conversions. ZipRecruiter indicates that a PPC specialist earns an average annual salary of $65,000.
6. UI/UX Design.
UI/UX design is a specialized field within the broader digital design category. It focuses on creating user-centered design solutions for websites, apps, and other digital products. UI/UX designers create visually appealing, intuitive, and easy-to-use designs.
The demand for UI/UX design professionals is rising due to the increasing importance of digital products in our daily lives. Businesses need to provide users with a seamless and enjoyable experience to attract new clients.
Businesses focus on enhancing their digital products and services to meet customer needs. According to a report by DesignRush, the demand for UI/UX design services increased by 71% in 2020.
The best money-making skills in UI/UX design include UI/UX design, product design, and interaction design. According to Glassdoor, $85,000 is the average salary for a UI/UX designer.
7. Data Science and Analytics.
Data science and analytics involve extracting, analyzing, and interpreting data to inform decision-making and drive business growth. This field has become increasingly important as businesses collect and analyze data to gain insights into customer behavior, market trends, and other key metrics.
According to a report by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, data science and analytics employment will grow by 11% from 2020 to 2030.
You can choose your career in data science and analytics from one of the following jobs:
- Data Scientist. These professionals use statistical and machine learning techniques to analyze and interpret complex data sets. As we have already mentioned, you can expect to earn around $113,000 per year as a data scientist in the US.
- Data Analyst. Data analysts collect, process, and perform statistical analyses on large data sets to identify trends and patterns. According to PayScale, the average salary for a data analyst is around $60,000 per year.
- Business Analyst. These specialists use data to help businesses make informed decisions and optimize operations. Indeed reports the average salary for a business analyst at around $70,000.
- Data Engineer. Data engineers design and build data pipelines to collect, process, and store large volumes of data. According to ZipRecruiter, their average annual income is around $114,000.
It is never too late to reconsider your career path or completely change your occupation. With the advancement of technology, educational resources are available online, making it more convenient for people to gain new skills. Moreover, you might find a remote career opportunity upon finishing your education.
At ELVTR, we create online learning experiences and collaborate with the best experts in their field. We provide our students with sufficient theoretical knowledge and practical tasks with detailed feedback. Join our courses to learn new skills and launch your career!