LIVE ONLINE COURSE ON FINDING
YOUR AUTHENTIC LEADERSHIP STYLE
- Boost your network by connecting with Black leaders across the industries through group discussions and workshops
- Achieve professional aspirations and personal goals by designing a personalized development plan
- Make your organization more diverse and inclusive by developing a tactical guide on how to increase workplace DEI
- Increase your leadership impact and become a better leader for your team by practicing negotiating, coaching, and mentoring methods
LIVE ONLINE COURSE ON
FINDING YOUR AUTHENTIC
30 NOV 2022 - 18 JAN 2023
MONDAYS & WEDNESDAYS
5 PM PST / 8 PM EST
6 WEEKS (WITH A 2-WEEK BREAK)
What does it mean to lead with courage and compassion? How can you develop confidence, resilience, and skills to drive necessary change?
Join Felicia Guity, Chief Operations & Executive Strategist at Google, to develop your leadership skills, map out your personal and professional goals, and network with industry peers.
WHO THIS COURSE IS FOR
You’re a Black leader looking to advance
Prepare to take on increasing challenges and responsibility as you move into more senior leadership or management positions. Learn how to negotiate like a pro, work to your strengths, and set your own development goals.
You want to improve the collective impact of Black leaders
Strengthen your individual impact while paving the way for more Black leaders in business. You’ll learn how to get the most out of coaching and mentoring, set KPIs, and develop key skills for leadership.
You want to foster inclusive leadership in your organization
Learn how to drive meaningful change by modeling and advancing inclusive leadership within your own organization, including implementing a diversity and inclusion action plan.
YOUR ASCENT STARTS HERE
Learn from a Black female leader with experience at top companies.
Having experienced all the ups and downs on her way to becoming a Google executive, Felicia has deep, real-world insights into what it means to be a successful business leader – and the challenges you’ll need to overcome along the way.
Put your plans into action with practical frameworks and tools.
You’ll walk away from this course with a clear personal and professional development plan, along with tools for negotiation, giving and receiving feedback, and mentoring.
ABOUT THE COURSE
Benefit from proven techniques for negotiation, feedback, coaching, and setting your own goals. You’ll have the chance to practice and improve these techniques with your classmates so you feel confident applying them in your organization.
Join guest speakers for engaging and insightful fireside chats. Discuss trending topics such as diversity and inclusion, setting KPIs, and leading with courage.
Understand how to get the best out of yourself, your team, and your organization. Felicia will help you craft your personal development plan and offer frameworks on feedback, listening, negotiation, and mentoring.
GUITY LINKEDIN PROFILE
- Chief Operations & Executive Strategist, member of Global Executive Leadership at Google
- More than 32 years of experience at top companies like Google, Amazon, Citrix, and Microsoft
- First African-American woman to be promoted from entry-level to the top 1% of Microsoft leadership
- Award-winning business development executive and board member recognized among leading women in business
- Delivers on billion-dollar revenue goals through strategy, sales, digital marketing, and technical platforms
- Sits on the board for Powerful Voices, We Connect The Dots Inc., and Boys and Girls Clubs of America
WED (11/30), 5 PM PST/8 PM EST
Managing Black Identity
In this first class, Felicia will take you through the history of Black identity in the workplace – where we’ve come from, where we need to go, and how you can contribute to the new landscape.
- African-American history, culture, and psychology
- Leadership in the context of race and identity
- Understanding and tackling racial inequality
MON (12/5), 5 PM PST/8 PM EST
Black Leaders Shaping History Today
Get inspired by Black leaders shaping their industries and start to map out your own realistic and achievable goals.
- Modern Black leaders across countries and industries
- Outlining individual and professional development goals
- Group discussion: Meet your peers and share your goals
Assignment #01: Work on creating your individual and professional development goals.
Go deeper: Identify your blockers and come up with an action plan.
WED (12/7), 5 PM PST/8 PM EST
Consider what makes a good leader by delving into different leadership styles and critical leadership skills. How do these apply to you?
- Applying leadership approaches
- Group discussion: Identifying critical leadership skills
- Workshop: Recognizing your assets and value
Assignment #02: Reach out to five people that you know well (e.g., family, friends, colleagues) and ask them to come up with three adjectives that best describe you. What did you learn? Was there anything that surprised you?
Go deeper: Explore your leadership style by outlining your personal assets and value.
MON (12/12), 5 PM PST/8 PM EST
Critical Thinking for Leaders
Good leaders don’t just see things one way. Learn how to recognize traps and trends and how to reason effectively.
- Effective reasoning
- Recognizing thinking traps
- Problem-solving techniques
WED (12/14), 5 PM PST/8 PM EST
Make Your Voice Heard
Discover the keys to successful negotiation and improving the status quo for yourself, your team, and your organization.
- Negotiation strategies, styles, and tactics
- Rethinking negotiation as problem-solving
- Influencing key stakeholders
- Workshop: Getting more out of your negotiations
Assignment #03: Watch the videos provided and determine which negotiations are most successful and why. What negotiation tactics did you observe? What kind of behaviors make someone more or less successful when negotiating?
Go deeper: Negotiate a deal, develop a pitch, and record yourself presenting it. Reflect on this activity and evaluate your group members’ performances.
MON (12/19), 5 PM PST/8 PM EST
In any conversation, it’s easy for things to go unnoticed and overlooked – which can cause misunderstandings and conflict. Learn how to earn the trust and respect of your team and form healthy relationships in the workplace.
- Avoiding miscommunication
- 7 stages of active listening
- Assertive communication and boundaries
Assignment #04: Think of a time when you experienced miscommunication. How did you handle the situation and what was the outcome? What could be done to avoid this situation in the future?
Go deeper: Watch the video provided and explain why miscommunication happened. How could it be avoided?
WED (12/21), 5 PM PST/8 PM EST
Giving and Receiving Feedback
In this class, you’ll discover how to effectively give and receive feedback to build a healthy communication flow, boost productivity and engagement, and achieve better results as a team.
- Understanding motivational drivers
- Emotional intelligence and communication methods
- Effective feedback tools and techniques
- Workshop: Structured models for giving and receiving feedback
WED (1/4), 5 PM PST/8 PM EST
Leading Teams With Courage
Good leaders know the value of courage and compassion, including the courage to let others do what they do best. Dive into what it means to lead with courage and how to take the right risks.
- A values-based leadership approach
- Enabling your team to develop and deliver
- Handling conflict
- Taking risks and making informed decisions
MON (1/9), 5 PM PST/8 PM EST
Making Your Organization Diverse & Inclusive
A diverse and inclusive company is made up of a healthy balance of people from different backgrounds. Learn how to create change within your own team or organization.
- Addressing under-representation
- Implementing an equality lens
- Fireside chat: Diversity and inclusion in the workplace
Assignment #05: Reflect on what you’ve heard in class and identify three main takeaways.
Go deeper: Create a D&I action plan for your team or organization.
WED (1/11), 5 PM PST/8 PM EST
Expand Your Network
Part of being an effective leader is acting as a mentor or coach to others in your sphere of influence. Learn techniques for 1-1 coaching sessions and the benefits of cultivating a productive and meaningful network of your own.
- The importance of connecting
- Getting guidance
- Finding the right mentor to unlock your potential
- Workshop: Coaching others and the GROW technique
Assignment #06: Watch the video provided on sponsorship. List three key takeaways and three steps you will take to find people who can help you.
Go deeper: Build your network map.
MON (1/16), 5 PM PST/8 PM EST
Setting Leadership KPIs
Setting clear goals is important, but how do you ensure you achieve them? With measurable progress and outcomes, you’ll set yourself up for future success.
- Steps for achieving professional aspirations
- Insights for designing your development plan
- Fireside chat: KPIs that reflect your strategic priorities
Assignment #07: Fill in the personal KPIs template.
WED (1/18), 5 PM PST/8 PM EST
Refining Your Development Plan
It’s time to put all your knowledge into practice and finalize your development plan.
- Identifying future development needs
- Setting realistic goals
- Holding yourself accountable
- Celebrating progress and preparing for what’s next
Assignment #08: Finalize your development plan.