NBA-LEVEL PLAYER DEVELOPMENT
18 APR 2024 - 28 MAY 2024
TUESDAYS & THURSDAYS
5 PM PST / 8 PM EST
Dave Severns, the former Assistant Coach and Director of Player Development for the Chicago Bulls and LA Clippers, is ready! He’ll take his four decades of coaching & scouting experience to teach you how to create the next basketball star.
THIS COURSE IS FOR YOU, IF...
YOU ARE AN ASPIRING OR PRACTICING COACH
Elevate your game with advanced coaching techniques & pro ball training strategies. Navigate player transitions with the wisdom of hardened experts in the field, and stay ahead of modern coaching methodologies & global basketball trends.
YOU ARE A BASKETBALL SCOUT
Address the pain points of navigating player transitions and staying current with modern strategies. Hone your ability to assess elite players and integrate cutting-edge analytics for superior program planning.
YOU ARE A TEAM MANAGER
Turn managerial challenges into strategic advantages. Learn to seamlessly integrate insights into team strategies, providing robust support to coaching staff and players, ultimately elevating team performance.
Adapt your playbook for success in professional basketball.
Craft personalized player development programs, harness advanced analytics, and master coaching techniques for various positions, propelling your career to new heights in the dynamic world of sports.
Let a pro coach be your mentor – live & online.
Dave Severns is a seasoned mentor with 44 years of coaching, including 13 years in the National Basketball League. Join him in the live sessions, leverage insights & feedback, and connect with peers to dribble into elite player development.
SEVERNS LINKEDIN PROFILE
- Director of Player Development, ex-LA Clippers
- Boasts 44 years of coaching and scouting, including 13 in the National Basketball League and 25 in teaching.
- Trained with Tim Grover in Chicago for 5 summers, specializing in player development and pre-draft workouts.
- Served as Director of Player Development/Assistant Coach with the Chicago Bulls and LA Clippers.
- Spent 5 years as a Pro Personnel Scout with the LA Clippers, now globetrotting for clinics and consulting.
Get to know your instructor, Dave Severns. With 44 years of experience in coaching & scouting, he’s ready to introduce his knowledge and experience while going over course expectations.
- Instructor introduction
- General housekeeping
- Assignment overview
Get an eagle’s eye view of the industry from day one and train your eye to recognize skill. Learn how to develop raw player skills while identifying areas for growth along the way.
- What makes a player great: physical, mental & elite-level skills
- Identifying areas for growth
- Lab: Analyze training videos to identify pitfalls and areas for growth. Use videos of teaching situations & player development plans.
Let’s huddle! We’re going to be starting our final project today to develop the next basketball superstar. But first, we need to solidify our scouting skills and incorporate them into a player development plan. There are different aspects to scouting that we’re going to learn. Let’s goooo!
- Scouting a player
- Identifying player strengths & weaknesses
- Setting goals: SMART goals and GROW model
- Demo: Individual Player Development Plan
Introduction to Final Project
Check out two examples of a finalized player development plan – explain & discuss the project.
Swish! That’s music to every coach’s ear. Today we’ll tackle the different techniques for shooting based on level and gender. To make sure your rising star hits nothing but buckets, you’ll develop a philosophy for teaching shooting and meet a shooting expert.
- Styles and strategies for different age groups and genders
- Feedback: Internal & external cueing
- Case study: Examine a struggling player & offer solutions based on theories
- Guest speaker: John Townsend, Shooting coach for several teams
Assignment #1: “Shooting Absolutes”
Students will identify the 5 fundamentals of shooting that they see as most important.
What’s the secret to developing a perfect point guard? It’s time to break down the needed skills and study them. In small groups, you’ll identify the strengths and weaknesses of an assigned player and give suggestions for improvement based on your video analysis.
- Training regimens for point guards
- Skill development: Passing, ball handling, shooting & defense
- Decision-making, leadership & finishing
- Workshop: Point Guard’s Skill Improvement Plan
Assignment #2: Video analysis of point guard skills
Analyze 3-4 minute point guard videos on selected players.
We’re moving on to developing our next type of player – the big men. Learn how to develop skills such as rebounding, shooting & defense by giving appropriate suggestions. Analyze each video to prepare your player for success.
- Training regimens for big men
- Skill development: Pick & roll, low post play, and finishing
- Lab: Analyze training videos – Dave will coach the class through certain points and ask for feedback.
Welcome to the art of coaching! You’ll be given a player to train, and based on their video you’ll diagnose them and design a 45-minute workout plan. As you prepare your wing player for top-level competition, you’ll get hands-on with next-level coaching.
- Training regimens for wing players
- Skill development: 5 different areas
- Workshop: Creating a Workout Plan
Assignment #3: Video analysis of Wing skills.
Push yourself to create the ideal workout plan for versatility. After all, the future of the National Basketball Association will be supported by molding versatile players. Understand the current basketball landscape and where strategies are heading in the pro leagues & colleges.
- Game strategy
- College vs. National Basketball Association strategy
- Positionless basketball
- Workshop: Analyze game footage of different teams’ strategies
Analytics are making slam dunks in basketball. Now it’s your turn to take data and combine these insights into your player development plan.
Assignment #4: Data-focused Recommendations
Identify 4-5 player stats and 2-3 strengths & weaknesses. Then provide 2-3 data-based recommendations.
Read the game. Understand plays. Make decisions. All of these skills are reflected in a player's Basketball IQ, and we’ll discuss how to build this intelligence into your players. Get ready to engage with Kobe Bryant’s former game strategist to learn how you can make smart game strategies.
- Basketball IQ
- Leadership traits for coaches (on & off the court)
- Guest speaker: Mike Procopio, ex-Dallas Mavericks Dir. of Player Development
Assignment #5: Leadership reflection
Identify and reflect on your leadership style.
Scouting players? Check! Player development? Check! Finding a job? Check out how to build your brand and get hired! Prepare yourself for the different roles available and learn from a coach who has successfully launched his career developing players.
- How to get hired
- Career advice
- Interview tips
- College vs. professional basketball & individual training roles
- Guest speaker: Phil Beckner from Driven Basketball
Level up your social media game. As marketing evolves, so do our approaches as coaches. Grasp methods to position yourself as a champion while learning from the mistakes of existing trainers.
- Marketing yourself
- Creating your brand
- Supporting players through adversity
- Social media do's and don'ts
- Workshop: Critiquing Trainers
Assignment #6: Trainer critique
Write a brief critique of a trainer’s video and suggest improvements.
Advance from coaching college-level players to professionals – by understanding the draft process, Summer League, rookie transition, and common pitfalls. You’ve trained for this moment! Now it’s time to take your final project and put it into action!
- From college to professional basketball
- Long-term development & continuous improvement
- Longevity in the league
- Case study: Managing career transitions with real-life player transition cases
Final Project: Individual Player Development Plan Components
Complete an off-season plan, in-season plan, player goals, analytical season summer, and focus areas for offense & defense.
What our students say
"The group activities, they allow us to interact and exchange ideas, plus the way it is structured is challenging and mind twisting as we collaborate in different parts of the ideation."
"Overall I'm impressed with the level of detail and explanation around particular topics and subjects. There's a real depth to each module which for learning allows the information to stay in your brain."
"I really enjoy the format of the course. Lectures with real life examples and an ongoing case study. Also built in 20 minutes at the end of each class for questions is helpful."
"I enjoyed the structure of the class. I like how we learned about a topic and practiced it in the workshops. It’s helped me to apply what I learned!"